January 28, 2009

Free at last, free at last

Betcha thought with a title like that, this would be another entry about the inauguration and the change coming to our country courtesy of one Mr. Barack Obama. Nah, not today. Instead, I’d like to talk about the most liberating thing I’ve ever done.

See, I work in the suburbs and there’s very little foot traffic. If I make it to the gym after work, I wait at a bus stop where literally an hour can pass without another pedestrian (I know this for a fact, thank you very much MBTA.). On Friday, as I stood in the cold waiting for the 7:03, one of my favorite songs by The National came on, and as the cars whizzed by – windows up of course – I found myself singing along.

You know you have a permanent piece…

And it was awesome. As the song built, I glanced around just to make sure there was no one approaching – and started singing louder.

Take all your reasons and take them away
To the middle of nowhere, and on your way home…

This may seem tame – and, I admit, it probably is – but I’ve never been skinny dipping. You couldn’t pay me enough money to go streaking. And I’m barely congnizant enough during my morning shower to remember to shampoo, so singing never happens. I’ve got to take these liberating thrills where I can get ‘em.

0 comments: